A Monthly Series on 9 One-Day Online Workshops
Note: if you are interested in any of these Workshops let Lauren know so we coordinate since there is a fee for them.
Start your New Year right with a resolution to keep up with quickly changing library trends! Alliance Library System and TAP Information Services are pleased to announce a dynamic monthly series of online workshops you can enjoy right at your desktop on these hot topics.
The first conference on Social Software for Libraries is scheduled for Tuesday, February 9. Meredith Farkas of Norwich University and columnist for American Libraries, will be the opening keynote speaker at 11:00 A.M. Eastern Time, 10:00 Central, 9:00 Mountain, and 8:00 Pacific. She will address “Building Collaboration, Participation, and Community in Libraries.” Farkas will talk about how social software is opening up new opportunities for reaching out to patrons, providing library services, and transforming our websites. Other speakers for this inspiring day-long conference include Lauren Jensen talking about Facebook; Joe Murphy speaking on Twitter; Rhonda Trueman talking about Second Life; Beth Duttlinger on Technology Training Wheels; Rebecca Teasdale on YouTube; Alison Miller on tagging technologies; and Matt Gullett on sharing the story using social media.
A full informational flyer can be found at http://www.alliancelibrarysystem.com/TrendyTopics/workshop1February9.pdf.
This is the first workshop in a series planned by ALS and TAP Information Services. Alliance Library System Executive Director Kitty Pope is internationally recognized for her annual Library Trends Report (http://www.alliancelibrarysystem.com/TrendsReport.cfm) which discusses the latest trends and how they affect libraries.
“ We wanted to take the Trends Report to the next step and create a forum and community for ongoing discussion and recognition of the wonderful work librarians are doing in these areas,” stated Pope. “With this series, librarians can both read about and have the opportunity to interact with experts, movers, and shakers in these areas.”
Topics and keynote speakers for upcoming conferences include the following:
- March 9 – “Marketing: The Medium and the Message” – Alison Circle, Columbus Metropolitan Library
- April 13 – “Teens and Technology” – Kelly Czarnecki, Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- May 11 – “Ebooks and Audiobooks” – Tom Peters, TAP Information Services
- June 8 – “ The Future of Libraries” – Stephen Abram, Gale Cengage
- July 13 – “Web Design for Libraries” – Aaron Schmidt, Washington DC Public Library
- September 14 – “Digital Reference” – Alison Miller, Internet Public Library
- October 12 – “ Virtual Worlds and Libraries” – Jeremy Kemp, San Jose State University School of Library and Information Science
- November (TBA) – “Building an Electronic Branch for your Library” – David Lee King, Topeka/Shawnee Public Library
More information on and registration for these workshops can be found at http://www.alliancelibrarysystem.com/trendytopics.
Registration for librarians for the one day conference is $40; for students $30; and for groups $100.