Print a PDF version of the guide Your Guide to eReaders and eBooks for Library Staff
Follow these steps to help library patrons in-person or over the phone:Ask the patron what brand of eReader or tablet they have.
- The Kindle Fire can use the built-in browser to go directly to our eMedia Catalog, checkout and download ebooks. They can also download and install the eMedia Console for Android to get ePUB formatted books. To get the Android app have them use this link http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx
- Kindle eReaders require a computer to checkout, download and send to their Amazon account. Once the eBook is at their account they need to connect their Kindle eReader to a WiFi network (not 3G) or use a USB cable and a computer to sync their eBook to the Kindle eReader.
- Sony Reader WiFi (PRS-T1) has a built in app to access library ebooks. See the video on eRead Me Vegas to see how it works with our ebooks http://readmevegas.blogspot.com/2011/11/sony-ereader-wifi.html The app is located on page 2 of the eReader.
- Tablets use the OverDrive Media Console app
i. iPad, iTouch, iPhones go to the iTunes App Store
ii. Android tablets (basically all other tables) go to https://market.android.com/search?q=overdrive+media+console&so=1&c=apps for the app
5. Nooks, Pandigital, and other brands of eReaders require a computer and Adobe Digital Editions installed on the computer.
i. Use the steps below under number 3 to guide them.
6. Confirm the patron has registered their device with the manufacturer
- Kindle with Amazon
- Sony with Sony.com
- Nook with Barnes & Nobles
- iPad, iTouch, iPhone with Apple
- Also various tablets or other eReaders with the manufacturer
- If the patron has a different eReader than mentioned above go to Compatible Devices http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/ to verify the eReader will work with library ebooks.
eReader setup procedures for all devices is available to patrons at our eMedia Catalog under the icon showing below – http://ebooks.lvccld.org
- Click on MyHelp!
- Select eBooks
- Select the eReader device
- Click on View My Help
- Follow the steps on the Set Up tab for the eReader
Getting eBooks from our eMedia Catalog at http://ebooks.lvccld.org
- Find a book to checkout
- Select the format which the device uses
- Kindle uses Kindle format>/li>
- Most other ereaders will use ePUB and/or PDF formats with DRM (Digital Rights Management)
- Add to eMedia Bag
- Click Proceed to Checkout
- Log in using your library card number, library and zipcode
- Select a lending period
- Click Confirm Checkout
- Click Download or Get for Kindlebutton
- Select Open with Adobe Digital Editions
- Click OK
- Once downloaded, transfer the book from Adobe Digital Editions to the eReader by connecting the eReader to the computer and dragging and dropping the book cover onto the device.
- At Amazon Click Get Library Book
- Login to your Amazon account
- Select to which Kindle device you want to deliver the book
- Click Continue
- Connect the Kindle eReader to a WiFi network (not a 3G network)
- Click on Menu
- Click View Archived Items
- To read click the Title when it appears on the main page
- If the patron has issues checking our ebooks out, check their patron record in III. They must be in good standing and have a valid library card from LVCCLD, North Las Vegas or Boulder City. Henderson patrons need to use the Henderson Library District’s Overdrive catalog.
- Handouts for patrons: I have similar document like this one for patrons at eRead Me Vegas under Getting Started. Your guide to eReaders and eBooks (patron version) http://librarianbrain.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/your-guide-to-ereaders-and-ebooks-patrons.pdf or Using eReaders and eBooks from the Library http://librarianbrain.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/emedia-at-your-library-non-lvccld.pdf
- For more detailed information on how to install Adobe Digital Editions and get library eBooks, direct the patrons to eRead Me Vegas http://www.readmevegas.blogspot.com/ under Getting Started on the left hand side bar select the eBook Downloading 101 for eReaders.
- For patrons with Kindle eReaders direct the patron to eRead Me Vegas http://www.readmevegas.blogspot.com/ under Getting Started on the left hand side bar select the eBook Downloading 101 for Kindle eReaders
- For patrons with tablets or mobile devices direct the patron to eRead Me Vegas http://www.readmevegas.blogspot.com/ under Getting Started on the left hand side bar select the eBook Downloading 101 for Tablets and Mobile Devices
If the patron has done all of the above and has a specific issue use eRead Me Vegas-FAQs, Tips and Tricks http://emediatips.wordpress.com/ to solve the problem. If the problem is not listed then send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the eReader brand, patron name, phone n