December is full of celebrations. Whether at a school concert or play, family holiday gathering, or work party, when people gather together and eat together, the chance of spreading germs increases. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the most important thing that we can do to prevent getting sick is simply to wash our hands.
Help your library community stay well this winter by promoting National Handwashing Awareness Month with these free resources and with information from Gale Health and Wellness Resource Center.
- Quick and Easy: printable coloring pages and activities for children
- Featured Resources: books for children and their caregivers and links to reliable online information
- Book Club: books for children and their caregivers and links to reliable online information
- Tie Ins: integrate National Handwashing Awareness Month into craft time, story time or after school fun
- Publicity Resources: free resources to help you publicize National Handwashing Awareness Week at your library through social networking sites or traditional printed materials
- Fun Stuff: links to interactive websites and apps
Quick and Easy
- Hooray for Handwashing – also in Spanish
- Good Clean Fun Coloring and Activity Book from Henry the Hand and Dr. Will – also in Spanish
- Henry the Hand Puppet
- Scrub Club
- Wash Your Hands – Lava Tus Manos
- Kids Scoop
- Lather Up for Good Health Seek and Find
- Hand Washing Mobile
- Have U Washed Your Hands 2day? – brochure with quiz and word search – also in Spanish
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Wash Your Hands – in Twenty-Four Languages
Trustworthy Online Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Wash Your Hands
- Hand Hygiene Resource Center
- KidsHealth: Why Do I Need to Wash My Hands?
- Mayo Clinic: Hand washing: Do’s and Don’ts
- Teens Health: Hand Washing
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: flu.gov
- World Health Organization: WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene and Health Care
Henry the Hand: After School or Saturday Fun
- Start with a three-and-a-half minute cartoon: Henry’s School Visit Video
- Sing a fun hand washing song: Doin’ the Hand Wash
- Practice washing your hands before a healthy snack:
- More hand washing fun to do at the library or to take home:
- End After School Fun Time with Champion Hand Washer Medallions
Hooray for Handwashing: Story Time (from the American Cleaning Institute for Better Living)
Craft Fun: Personalized Soap Dispenser
- The NSF Scrub Club:
- AudioPublic Service Announcement in English and in Spanish
- Video Public Service Announcement
- Web Banners:
- Print Ads
- Sesame Street’s Elmo – Flu Prevention PSA
- flu.gov – The US Department of Health and Human Services
- Wes Studi: Seasonal Flu PSA Actor Wes Studi (Last of the Mohicans, Avatar) highlights how easily flu viruses can spread among native peoples and tribal nations.
- Flu – Hygiene PSA for Kids Things kids can do to prevent the flu.
- Influenza- PSA Sobre Medidas de Higiene Para Niños Things kids can do to help prevent flu (in Spanish).
Add these interesting and helpful interactive links to your library’s website, Facebook page, or Twitter feed:
- Scrub Club:
- Sesame Street Videos