OverDrive announced this week that a new version of OverDrive Media Console (OMC) for Android and iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) is on its way. This release will include a new and improved interface design, enhancements such as syncing reading progress and bookmarks across multiple devices, and improved performance. OMC v3.0 will be available to Android and iOS users on August 20, 2013 and users will be prompted to install the new version.
OMC v3.0 has been completely redesigned with a focus on making the user experience more intuitive. You can preview the new app here. The Next Generation of OMC will feature:
- A redesigned user interface with an all-new look, streamlined navigation and a one-stop reorganized menu. App functions are just a swipe and tap away.
- Users will be able to sync bookmarks and reading progress across multiple devices using a free, opt-in registration service called OverDrive One.
- Variable speed playback for iOS. Audiobook users’ most requested feature.
- First run tutorial screens. The app now prompts first time users to add libraries and get books.
- System Requirements: OMC v3.0 for Android users requires Android OS v4.0 (or newer). OMC for Android v2.6.5 will remain available for download. OMC for iOS requires iOS 6 (or newer).
To help your library prepare for the upcoming release, OverDrive has created several resources to educate library staff and get the word out to end users.
Live webinars for library staff
Participate in a 30 minute training on the new OMC app. Sessions will be held on the following dates and times:
Tuesday, August 13 at 3 PM ET
Wednesday, August 14 at 11 AM ET
Unable to attend? A recording will be posted to our Learning Center on August 16.
In the OverDrive Media Console v3.0 marketing kit, we’ve created an email template that you can use to notify end users and/or include as an article in your upcoming library newsletter. You’ll also find sample Facebook posts and tweets to spread the word quickly and easily.
On launch day, OverDrive Help articles and videos will be updated with the new OMC v3.0 experience.